Skip to main content

COVID-19: For more information, visit our page on family law during the pandemic.

Resource Directory

Find a resource near you


Free or low-cost resources

Some organizations allow you to speak with a professional at little or no cost to help you understand your rights and start the legal process. The Community Justice Centers provide this type of service throughout Quebec.

For a complete list of organizations in your region, consult our map.


A lawyer can help you understand your rights, represent you in court, and draft legal proceedings.

En apprendre plus

Finding the Right Lawyer to Represent You

Find a lawyer (Barreau du Québec)

 A lawyer can represent you free of charge or for a maximum of $800 if you qualify for legal aid.


Commissioner for Oaths

The Commissioner for Oaths allows you to sign a document under oath.

You can be sworn free of charge at a courthouse, a Services Québec office, or a Community Justice Center.

You can also find a Commissioner for Oaths by using the search engine provided by the Ministère de la Justice du Québec.



A bailiff can, among other things, deliver legal documents and seize property or money.

Find a bailiff (website in French only - Chambre des huissiers de justice du Québec)


Family mediator

A family mediator helps you reach an agreement to settle the consequences of your separation.

Find a family mediator (Justice Québec)



A notary can, among other things, help you understand your rights, draft amicable separation agreements, formalize the sale of a house, and prepare wills.

Find a notary (Chambre des notaires du Québec)



Help lines

Contact the Info-Social service at 811 or a Crisis Centre for advice from a professional in psychosocial intervention. If required, this professional will direct you to another resource in the health and social services network or to a community organization.

If you fear for your safety or the safety of your loved ones:

In case of emergency, call 911

Guidance counsellor

A guidance counsellor can help you reflect on your career choice or your return to the job market.

Find a guidance counsellor (website in French only - Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d'orientation du Québec)


Psychologist and psychotherapist

A psychologist or a psychotherapist can help you better understand your emotions and provide you with tools to resolve your personal, family, or marital problems.

Find a psychologist and psychotherapist (website in French only - Ordre des psychologues du Québec)

En apprendre plus

Where can I find free or low-cost psychological services? (website in French only - Ordre des psychologues du Québec)


Marriage and Family Therapist

A marriage and family therapist can help you improve or re-establish communication in your relationship or family.

Find a marriage and family therapist (website on French only - Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec)


Social worker

A social worker can help you find concrete solutions to overcome your interpersonal, organizational, or functional challenges. He or she can also conduct a psychosocial assessment as part of a legal proceeding.  

Find a social worker (website in French only - Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec)


Free or low-cost resources

The Associations coopératives d’économie familiale (ACEF) can help you review your budget, apply for government assistance, file your income tax returns, or negotiate a payment agreement with your creditors.


For a list of ACEF by region, consult our map.


An actuary can help you assess the partitionable value of your retirement plans, investments, and publicly traded shares. He or she can also make a projection of your income. This information is sometimes necessary in a legal proceeding.

Find an actuary (Canadian Institute of Actuaries)


Chartered Appraiser

The chartered appraiser independently evaluates the market value of a property.

Find a chartered appraiser (website in French only - Ordre des évaluateurs agréés du Québec)