Skip and go to general information

Are you experiencing domestic violence or sexual violence?

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Enable cookies to have a better experience.

Separation and divorce

Your options to enforce compliance with a judgment

If your ex isn’t complying with the judgment rendered by the judge, there are recourses available to enforce compliance. In some cases, this is called the “forced execution” of the judgment. Read on for an explanation.

Enforcement deadlines may apply

It’s quite likely that the statute or judgment sets out a specific timeline for the enforcement of the judge’s decisions. Before the deadline expires, a recourse to enforce compliance can’t be used. Read your judgment to find the information and ask a lawyer or a notary for advice if it’s not clear.

My ex isn’t paying support or is paying only part of it

If you’re supposed to receive support from your ex but he or she isn’t making the payments or is paying only part of what is owing, you don’t have to do anything if Revenu Québec is responsible for collection. If the payments aren’t being made, Revenu Québec will see it and do what’s necessary to recover the amounts owing.

If you think that Revenu Québec isn’t acting quickly enough, you can use another recourse such as seizure by bailiff. If you plan to do this, speak with a lawyer or a notary.

If you chose not to participate in Revenu Québec’s support-payment collection program, you can ask to end the exemption. Revenu Québec will take care of recovering the amounts owing.

En apprendre plus

Support payments you receive (Revenu Québec)

En apprendre plus

Receiving Support Payments Directly – Applying for an Exemption (Revenu Québec)

Finally, if your ex is manoeuvring to avoid having to comply with the judgment, he or she risks being convicted of contempt of court, which is an exceptional measure that punishes dishonest conduct relating to the enforcement of a judgment.


The information presented on this page is not a legal opinion or legal advice. This page explains in a general way the law that applies in Quebec. To obtain a legal opinion or legal advice on your personal situation, consult a legal professional.

New on JuridiQC!

Joint Divorce Help Tool

Free and easy to use, JuridiQC’s help tool assists married couples who don’t have children together as they prepare their joint divorce application. From filling out documents to filing them at the courthouse, we provide step-by-step guidance.