Skip and go to general information

The Charter of the French language and its regulations govern the consultation of English-language content.

Enable cookies to have a better experience.

Being a tenant

Resource Directory - Being a tenant

Understanding your rights and having them respected

Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse (CDPDJ)

The Commission ensures the promotion and respect of an individual’s rights and freedoms according to the Charter of human rights and freedoms.

If you believe you’ve been the victim of discrimination, you can file a complaint with the CDPDJ. The CDPDJ may investigate your case and in some cases, represent you free of charge before the Human Rights Tribunal.

The CDPDJ also provides a mediation service to help you find a solution without going to court.

En apprendre plus

File a complaint of discrimination or harassment (Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse)

Commissioner for Oaths

If you have to sign a document under oath (be sworn in to make a statement), you’ll need to use the services of someone who is authorized to receive an oath.

You can be sworn in free of charge at a courthouse, a Services Québec office or a Community Justice Center.

You can also use the services of a Commissioner for Oaths. A fee of $5 per signature may be charged.

You can find a Commissioner for Oaths by using the search engine provided by the Ministère de la Justice du Québec.

Court Bailiffs

Court bailiffs can officially send legal documents (”serve” documents). They can also seize property or money, for example, to implement a judgment.

They usually charge for this service.

En apprendre plus

Find a court bailiff - website in French only (Chambre des huissiers de justice du Québec)

Housing committees and tenants’ associations

Housing committees and tenants’ associations can inform you of your rights as a tenant and help you take steps with the Tribunal administratif du logement.

En apprendre plus

Find a housing committee in your area (Regroupement des comités logement et associations de locataires du Québec – RCLALQ)

Jeune Barreau de Montréal (JBM) – Preparation service for a hearing

If you’ve been summoned to a hearing before the Tribunal administratif du logement in the district of Montreal, pro bono lawyers from the Young Bar of Montreal’s Preparation service for a hearing can help you prepare for it.

This free service gives you the opportunity to talk with a pro bono lawyer for approximately twenty minutes (by telephone or videoconference).

En apprendre plus

Preparation service for a hearing (Young Bar of Montreal)


Lawyers can inform you of and advise you about your rights. They can also represent you before the Tribunal administratif du logement and draft legal proceedings.

En apprendre plus

Find a lawyer (Barreau du Québec)

Lawyers usually charge for their services but you can receive free or low-cost services if you’re eligible for legal aid (up to a maximum of $800 if you’re eligible for contributory legal aid).

Legal clinics

Legal clinics provide information and support services to help tenants better understand their rights and have them respected (e.g., private consultation with a lawyer, group information sessions, etc.).

The Community Justice Centers and the Bar schools provide this type of service free of charge in several areas in Quebec.

En apprendre plus

Find a Community Justice Center in your area (Community Justice Centers)

En apprendre plus

Nos services - website in French only (Clinique juridique Barreau du Québec)

For more information, contact the universities and community organizations in your region because some of them also provide this type of service.


Mediation is for people who want to avoid going to court to resolve a conflict. It provides you with a neutral and confidential space for discussion where a mediator offers guidance to facilitate dialogue.

Several organizations provide free mediation services. To find an organization in your area, consult Équijustice and Association des organismes de justice alternative du Québec.

You can also find a private mediator on the website of the Institut de médiation et d’arbitrage du Québec.

The Tribunal administratif du logement also provides a free conciliation service when you file a judicial application.


Notaries are legal counsel. This means they can inform you about your rights and provide you with legal advice. However, they cannot represent you in court or draft judicial proceedings in the context of a contested proceeding.

Notaries usually charge for the services they provide to tenants.

En apprendre plus

Find a notary (Chambre des notaires du Québec)

Tribunal administratif du logement (TAL) – Information service

Information clerks from the TAL can inform you about your rights and obligations as a tenant. They can also help you draft and file an application before the TAL.

You’ll have to make an appointment to speak to a clerk. This appointment may take place in person or over the telephone.

En apprendre plus

Making an appointment with an information clerk (Tribunal administratif du logement)

Obtaining psychosocial support

If you fear for your safety or the safety of a loved one:

211 Québec

2-1-1 (free) - 7 days a week - Greater Montreal area: from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; the Capitale-Nationale, Chaudière-Appalaches, and Haute-Yamaska regions: from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., from Monday to Friday, and from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

Call the Quebec helpline 211 to find the nearest public or parapublic social and community services that you need.

The database for your region is also available online 24 hours a day, 7 day a week:

Crisis intervention services in Quebec

Crisis centres provide specialized intervention services in crisis situations.

These services are free and available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

En apprendre plus

Find the crisis centre in your region - website in French only (Regroupement des Services d’Intervention de Crise du Québec)

Info-Social 811

8-1-1 (free) – 24 hours a day, 7 day a week

Contact Info-Social 811 for advice from a psychosocial intervention professional. If required, this professional will direct you to another resource in the health and social services network or to a community organization.

Integrated health and social services centres (CISSS) and integrated university health and social services (CIUSSS)

You can contact your local CISSS or CIUSSS to speak with a health professional free of charge and privately. This professional may assess your needs and direct you to a resource adapted to your situation.

En apprendre plus

Find your CISSS or CIUSSS (Gouvernement du Québec)


A psychoeducator can help you if you’re having difficulty adjusting to a family, personal, marital, or professional life event, no matter how old you are.

En apprendre plus

Find a psychoeducator - website in French only (Ordre des psychoéducateurs et psychoéducatrices du Québec)

Psychologists and psychotherapists

A psychologist or a psychotherapist can help you better understand your emotions and provide you with tools to resolve your personal, family, or marital problems.

En apprendre plus

Find a psychologist or a psychotherapist (Ordre des psychologues du Québec)

Quebec suicide prevention helpline

1-866-277-3553 (free) – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Are you having suicidal thoughts, or are you worried about a loved one? Call the Quebec suicide prevention helpline to speak with a professional in your area.

En apprendre plus

Find the nearest distress centres and crisis organizations - website in French only (Regroupement des centres de prévention du suicide du Québec)

Réseau Avant de craquer

1-855-272-7837 (free) – from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The Réseau Avant de craquer helpline is for the loved ones of people with a mental health issue, whether to answer their questions about mental disorders or to accompany them in the search for solutions when they feel overwhelmed.

Social workers

A social worker can help you find concrete solutions to overcome your interpersonal, organizational, or functional challenges.

En apprendre plus

Find a social worker - website in French only (Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec)

Planning your budget

Associations coopératives d’économie familiale (ACEF)

The Associations coopératives d’économie familiale (ACEF) can help you:

  • make or review your budget
  • apply for government assistance
  • file your income tax returns
  • negotiate a payment agreement with your creditors

En apprendre plus

Find an ACEF in your area - website in French only (Les associations de consommateurs du Québec)

Services for disaster victims

Housing Offices - Housing Search Assistance Service

Several housing offices provide emergency housing search assistance services to individuals who need to find accommodation quickly after losing their home.

En apprendre plus

Find a housing office in your area - french only (Société d’habitation du Québec)

Red Cross

Emergency line:1-877-362-2433 (free) – 24 hours a day, 7 day a week.

If you’re the victim of a disaster (e.g., fire, flood), the Red Cross can help you by providing you with shelter, clothing, and essential supplies to meet your needs during the first days after the disaster.

Services for homeless people

Housing Offices - Housing Search Assistance Service

Several housing offices provide emergency housing search assistance service to individuals who have lost or are at risk of losing their home.

En apprendre plus

Find a housing office in your area - french only (Société d’habitation du Québec)

Useful resources for those who are homeless

Several organizations help people without a home, whether to help them look for housing or provide them with food or material assistance, psychosocial support, or health care.

To consult the list of the main organizations assisting these people:

You can also contact your local Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or the Your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (CIUSSS) to learn about the various services available.

En apprendre plus

Find your CISSS or CIUSSS (Gouvernement du Québec)

Domestic, family, and sexual violence

In an emergency: Call 9-1-1 (or 310-4141 for municipalities without a 911 service)
SOS Violence Conjugale: 1-800-363-9010
Sexual Violence Helpline: 1-888-933-9007

Centre d’aide et de lutte contre les agressions à caractère sexuel (CALACS)

CALACS are sexual assault support centres for women and teenage girls who have been sexually assaulted.

Some of the services offered:

  • Telephone support
  • Support groups
  • Meetings with counsellors
  • Support for steps taken with the police, in court, or at the hospital, for application for compensation, or in interactions with employers and institutions.


Crime Victims Assistance Centre (CAVAC)

CAVAC provides front-line services for crime victims, their loved ones, and crime witnesses.

CAVAC staff can provide information about your rights and recourses and about how the justice system works. They can help you with any steps you take. They can also provide psychosocial services and referrals to specialized resources.

To make an appointment at a CAVAC resource in your area: 1-866-532-2822 (free)

En apprendre plus

Centre d’aide aux victimes d’actes criminels (CAVAC)

DCPP Telephone line to inform victims of domestic violence or sexual violence

1-877-547-3727 (free) - Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Are you experiencing domestic violence or sexual violence? Are you considering making a complaint? The Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions (DCPP) telephone line is a free and confidential service that allows you to ask a prosecuting attorney specializing in sexual or domestic offence cases any questions you may have.

You can obtain information about:

  • the authorization of a prosecution
  • a police information
  • the conduct of the judicial process
  • the support offered by the DCPP prosecutors throughout your journey in the justice system
  • the measures to help you testify in court

Rebâtir - Free legal consultation services

1-833-732-2847 (free) – Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Rebâtir is a service that provides four hours of free legal consultation to all victims of sexual or domestic violence.

Lawyers trained in this subject matter are available to answer questions from victims about all areas of the law.

En apprendre plus

Sexual Violence Helpline

1-888-933-9007 (free) – 24 hour a day, 7 days a week.

This helpline is a listening, assistance, and referral service for victims of sexual assault and their loved ones.

SOS violence conjugale

Emergency line: 1-800-363-9010 (free) – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

SOS Violence conjugale helps victims of domestic violence and anyone affected by domestic violence.

Staff is there to listen and direct you to specialized resources that can meet your specific needs, whether an emergency shelter, psychological support, help with any steps you take, or more information.

En apprendre plus

I need help (SOS violence conjugale)

Support centres and shelters for women who are victims of domestic violence

Support centres and shelters help women who are victims of domestic violence and their children.

Some of the services offered:

  • Telephone support, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day
  • Safe accommodation
  • Information, referrals, and support and help with any actions you take
  • Defence of your rights
  • Post-shelter support
  • Social activities

To find a shelter near you, visit the following sites:


The information presented on this page is not a legal opinion or legal advice. This page explains in a general way the law that applies in Quebec. To obtain a legal opinion or legal advice on your personal situation, consult a legal professional.